Supported Ad formats: Carousel Ad, Video and Lead Ad
Terms and Services: All advertisers (including those currently running lead ads) will have to accept a new set of Terms and Services to create new Lead Ads. You will get a pop-up which will ask you to accept terms of service to continue . You will only need to accept this once per page. The new TOS are here. Currently running Lead Ads will not be impacted – these will run as before, and they will continue receiving leads.
Lead Ads Overview
Lead ad forms can include up to 18 preset fields The data, if available, will be taken directly from the user's Facebook profile.
- Full name
- First Name
- Last Name
- Phone number
- Street address
- Zip code
- Date of birth
- Marital status
- Relationship status
- Company name
- Military status
- Job title
- Work phone number
- Work email
You can add up to 15 additional questions (with customizable answers). They can be custom questions, but Facebook also offers a set of additional predefined questions that you can add. You can pre-fill the answers to these questions. Using an open text field for the answer is possible, but a list of options is recommended.
Custom disclaimers - you should understand what (if any) disclaimer you need, and use the Optional disclaimer field in form builder to add it. There isn't a character limit on the disclaimer, but we strongly recommend keeping it as brief as possible. A user will have to scroll through the entire disclaimer and accept before they can submit leads.
Note: Facebook doesn't yet have the capability to edit Lead Forms.
Best Practices for Lead Ads
- Use up to 3 custom questions to minimize drop-off and ensure efficient cost per lead, unless:
- your business requires extensive prospect qualification for your high consideration products or services
- you are comfortable with potentially higher Cost Per Lead to get the better lead quality with more questions
- you currently use long lead forms on your landing pages and want to replicate this experience on Facebook
- You can add up to 15 custom questions to your lead ad form
- Use the list of options instead of an open text field for answers
- Keep the disclaimer as short as possible
- There is no character limit on the disclaimer, but the user will have to scroll through the entire disclaimer and accept before they can submit leads. A long disclaimer might increase the drop-off rate.
- Make sure to react fast! A lead is warm only for some time. You need to put in place some mechanism to be able to download your list of prospects and act upon them as soon as possible. Some companies provide a list of hot leads to their call center, some other push the leads to an email drip campaign or an autoresponder, etc. There are multiple options for this.
- Facebook proposes an extensive list of integrations with CRMs and other databases. Full list here: https://www.facebook.com/business/help/908902042493104
- You can setup your own automation using Facebook Marketing API
- You can use tools like Zapier or IFTTT
Creating Lead Ads on Smartly.io
- Create a new campaign
- Facebook Objective: Lead Generation
- Campaign Reporting Goal: Lead Gen
When you choose Lead Generation as the Facebook objective, you will have the lead form available in each of the ad formats (normal, carousel and video).
- On the creative tab select Carousel, Video or Lead Ad format
- Add a message
- Select a picture
- The call-to-action button will automatically say "Sign Up"
- Finally, Create new Lead Ad form
- Only unpublished posts can be created
New Lead Ad Form
Once you click on the "Create New Lead Ad Form" you will have to accept the Terms of Service. You can now create your first form.
- Choose a name and a language for your form
- Select up to 15 Questions Click on Show more options to see all the available questions. The data will be taken from their Facebook account when available.
- Add up to 3 Additional Questions This is the list of all the additional questions.
- You can pre fill the questions with suggested answers or leave it blank for open ended questions.
Note: You cannot edit the lead ad form of a campaign. However, you can edit the ad itself and add a new lead ad form with the desired changes. The old lead ad form and its accumulated leads will still be found on Facebook.
- Mobile News Feed and/or Desktop News Feed as placement
- Set age range to be 18+
Engagement Audience for Lead ads
With Lead Ad Engagment Audience, you can create an audience of people who have interacted with your lead ad. Lead Ad Engagement audiences are lead form specific. You can use engagement audience to include or exclude people who have interacted with the lead ad form. To create a lead ad audience go to Library tab and select Add new lead ad engagement audience under Create custom audience button as shown below:
How to test my Lead Ads
Once you created your Lead Ad there is a simple way to check how it looks on your mobile.
Note: The mobile preview is working with native Facebook app only (Android and iPhone tested). The mobile preview is not working when you open the preview in mobile browser (Safari tested).
- Expand the creative by clicking it
- Click View Ad in Ads Manager
- Preview the Ad
- Select View on Mobile
This is how it looks on mobile.
First, the user will be prompter with the Additional Questions (optional, up to 3)
Emails, Name, Phone Number...all the data is taken automatically from the user's Facebook profile.
You can now download the lead (see next section of this article) The use can also click on the link below to be redirected to a specific url. That url will also have the url tags you have defined in the "Tracking" section of campaign creation.
How to download Leads
Note that to download leads you need Administrator rights for the Facebook page. Lead are collected in real-time and they can be downloaded in Campaign view by expanding the creative and clicking on Download leads
The leads will download as a CSV file. The leads will include all of the leads generated by the underlying form.
Downloading leads via Ads Manager, Powereditor or Facebook API
Please see the Facebook Advertiser Help Center article How do I download the leads from my lead ad?
How do I integrate Facebook lead ads with Zapier?
Zapier is a third-party tool for automating certain business tasks. Facebook supports integrating lead ads with Zapier to make it easier to download and manage your leads. Learn more at https://www.facebook.com/business/help/871411756318123
Lead Ads on Instagram
You can run lead ads on Instagram normally with the same creative and lead form that you use on Facebook as long as your creative conforms to Instagram's creative requirements. However, there are a couple of functionality differences on Instagram:
- Not all of the pre-filled fields for leads ads are supported on Instagram. Instagram will support the following fields: Email, Full name, Phone number and Gender. If you include additional fields (ex, city or street address) in your lead ad, people will need to fill-in the questions themselves when they open your ad on Instagram.
- Your lead ad will look somewhat different on Instagram than on Facebook. On Facebook, to complete the form on your lead ad, people will be able to open your ad and scroll down it to fill out all of the sections. On Instagram, to complete the form, people will need to open your ad and click through a series of pages to complete it.
- Lead ads are only available on the Instagram app. Your lead ads won't appear on Instagram's desktop site.
**NOTE FOR GERMAN COMPANIES**
When your company is based in Germany and you're targeting users in Germany, you should consider using a double opt-in procedure for generating leads. Please consult your legal department or CRM expert about this.
You might also find these articles helpful
- Wikipedia - Opt-in
- t3n: Urteil: Double-Opt-In wird zur Pflicht bei Anmeldebestätigungen von Onlineshops
To send the double opt-in mail directly after you've received the lead, please consult the documentation below to fetch the leads in real-time through an API