Collection Ads from Instant Experience (previously known as Canvas) enables you to create Collection Ads from Instant Experience content instead of from your catalog. No product catalog or product set is required.
Use Collection Ads to drive attention to the ad with 4 special image thumbnails below the ad unit, and allow the user to open a full-screen experience that loads instantly.
ℹ️ Note: this article is specific to Collection Ads from Instant Experiences. Creating regular Instant Experience ads is easier and does not have so many limitations and requirements.
In regular campaigns
- You need to select an Instant Experience that has either:
- 1 video + at least 4 photos
- at least 5 photos
- The latter 4 photos can also be in the cards of a carousel element, or a Product Set element
- If you do not already have an Instant Experience, it can be created in Facebook Ads Manager. You can easily access Instant Experience creation through campaign creation in Smartly.io.
- The first element of the Instant Experience will be used as a hero image or video for the Collection Ad. The following 4 pictures are used as the thumbnail photos on the bottom of the ad.
Creating Collection Ads in regular campaigns
- Start by creating a Regular campaign
- In the Campaign tab, select the Website as the destination
- Select the Link clicks or Conversions Facebook objective
- In the Ad Creatives tab, navigate to Collection → Create from Canvas
- Select an existing Instant Experience from the list, or create a new Instant Experience on Facebook through the direct link
- Enter a title and a message for the ad
Once you pick your Instant Experience, it will automatically select the first image or video element in the Instant Experience as the hero media. The following 4 pictures are automatically assigned as the thumbnails on the bottom of the collection ad.
ℹ️ Note: When using an image as the hero media, the maximum file size is 4 MB.
The pictures will be automatically cropped and centered. In the Images Featured in News Feed selector, you can remove and add pictures that available in the Instant Experience photo elements.
In Automated Ads campaigns
This is an Alpha feature – not available to all advertisers, development is not finished.
How does it work?
- You need to select an Instant Experience template with a minimum of 5 elements: either 1 video + 4 photos or 5 photos
- The first photo/video element in the Instant Experience Template will be the "hero image/video" of the Instant Experience
- The latter 4 photos can also be in the cards of a carousel element
- The ad format can be used with Carousel, Link or Video ad.
- What will show in the newsfeed ad and inside the Instant Experience?
- If you upload a video when creating the ad
- This video will be shown in the newsfeed ad unit
- On some devices, but not all, the video will continue playing even on top of the screen above the Instant Experience
- The Instant Experience will have its hero image / video displayed inside
- If you upload an image when creating the ad
- This image is shown in the newsfeed ad unit as the big image
- When opened, the Instant Experience will have its original "hero image/video" as the topmost element
- If you choose "Canvas" when creating the ad
- The hero image or video from the Instant Experience will be shown in the newsfeed ad unit
- The following 4 pictures are used as the thumbnail photos on the bottom of the ad
- If you upload a video when creating the ad
Creating Collection Ads in Automated Ads campaigns
Start by creating an Automated Ads campaign, choose the Website clicks or Conversions objective
In the Ad Template tab, choose a Link, carousel or Video ad, and select "Link destination" to be "Instant Experience Template", and choose your template
You can choose to upload an image/video, select one by using feed values, or letting it be selected from the Instant Experience by selecting "Canvas" (see details above in the "Technical details" section)
Enable "Create as a Collection Ad" – this makes the newsfeed ad unit show 1 big image/video and 4 small images
After filling out the rest of the details, you're done!
- Use a breadth of products to encourage users to take action.
- Test how Collection ad format performs compared to Link or Carousel format for different audiences.
Can I edit the thumbnail photos?
Yes. Thumbnail photos can be edited in the multi-selector from all the photo elements present in the Canvas.
See also the following guides: