There are two ways to create GIF ads in Smartly.io either uploading the GIF file to a Video ad as you would upload a video or using the pre-created GIF post in an ad.
The GIF in the ad will autoplay in Newsfeed, provided that the person receiving it hasn't disabled video autoplay on their Facebook video settings. Please note that GIFs do not play at all in the Right Hand Sidebar placement – only the first frame will be shown.
1) Create GIF ads by uploading them similarly as other videos
You can simply upload GIF as a video and it will be displayed as ad video/image.
You can also create dynamic ads with GIFs if you have the GIF links in your catalog and they will display to users correctly as GIFs if you have set the image link to GIF field.
2) Boost posts that have GIFs as video
Create a GIF-post on your page and advertise (boost) that using an existing post. GIFs can be very visually engaging for driving brand awareness.
1) Upload your gif-image to Giphy or host yourself. 2) Copy the image URL by right clicking the gif. 3) Use the link on your page in Facebook for your post 4) Paste the gif-URL to the status post, remove the URL and fill your message.
NOTE: If Facebook does not show the animation in preview after you paste the URL, the URL is most likely not a direct link to a GIF file.
You can also do an unpublished post in Power Editor by creating a link ad with the link to the gif and leaving the photo empty.
- In Smartly.io Create a regular campaign using an existing post.
GIFs can be used as ads on Facebook, Instagram and Audience Network.
You can preview the GIF-ad for mobile in ads manager. Clicking the view on mobile will send you a link to your mobile Facebook app. The gif should autoplay there. The desktop preview in Smartly.io will also display it correctly.
For the best results: (Recommended by Facebook)
- Choose high-quality images or animations
- Use a link ending with .gif
- Use a GIF with a file size less than 8MB
- Use a GIF with less than 20% text on the image
- Avoid GIFs that flash or are grainy, as your boosted post may not be approved
Dynamic Ads with GIFs
If you have GIFs available for your products you can use them with dynamic ads.
You need to have the GIF links in your catalog similarly as you would have normal images. The catalog and campaign setup then is same as with Dynamic Ads campaign.
When the campaign is running users will see the link or carousel ads with GIFs instead of images.
Let us know your experiences if you have tried Dynamic Ads with GIFs!