- To use Collection Ads you need to have a Facebook Product, Hotel or Auto Catalog and a Product, Hotel or Auto Set containing at least four products/hotels. The more items you have in it, the more Facebook has room to optimize which products to show in the Canvas.
- Image/video aspect ratio between 1:1 and 1.91:1
- Post-click Canvas shows by default product name and price so you need to have that information in your Product Catalog. Price renders as "0" if you don't have the information.
Creating the collection ad
You can create a collection from a product or hotel set either in a regular campaign or a Dynamic Ads campaign.
- If you want to choose the individual products featured in the collection, choose Option 1: Regular campaign
- If you want to target a dynamic product/hotel audience (either retargeting or Broad Audience), choose Option 2: Dynamic Ads campaign
Both options support the option of Facebook selecting the most relevant products/hotels for each user.
Option 1: Regular campaign
Start by creating a Regular campaign, choose Link clicks or Conversions objective
On Creative tab, navigate to Collection → Create from Catalog, set up your hero image or video, and choose a product or a hotel catalog and the product set you want to use to create the ads.
- You can choose the four products that are placed under the hero image or you can let Facebook do it for you. You can also select less than four products and Facebook will pick the rest. The selected products will also appear on top of the post-click Canvas.
- Use a similar targeting as you would for any Regular campaign
Option 2: Dynamic Ads campaign
Start by creating a Dynamic Ads campaign, choose a product or a hotel catalog
On Creative Templates tab, navigate to Collection ad, set up your hero image or video.
The products featured in the collection are chosen by Facebook from the promoted products or hotels you choose on the Audience tab
Use a similar targeting as you would in a Dynamic Ads campaign: both retargeting and Broad Audience are supported.
Special case: App Installs and Any App Destination campaigns
You can also create Collection Ads from Catalog in a campaign with the App Installs objective, but this requires that the Instant Experience directs the user to the App Store.
This requires some manual setup: under "Edit instant experience", you must manually input the App Store URL to the call-to-action fields:
- The product set with at least 8 images so that 4 appear in the news feed and tapping ’More’ displays an additional two rows of products in the post-click Canvas.
- Ideally, the 4 products should be also visible in the hero image or video
- Use a breadth of product assortment to encourage users to take an action.
- Test how Collection ad format performs compared to Link or Carousel format for different audiences.
What placements are supported?
Until October 2020, only Facebook Feed and Instagram Feed mobile were supported. From October 2020, Facebook is rolling out Collection also to be delivered in Instagram Stories. To enable it, simply ensure Instagram Stories is selected as a placement.
To verify, you're able to run Collection on Instagram Stories, check the ad preview for that placement:
See also the following guides: