Instagram Stories Canvas enables you to tell a story in an immersive post-click experience. With Canvas format you can build fullscreen, interactive, native interactions without having to wait for web views to load. Canvas provides creative control on mobile, all built on Facebook's optimized performance, insights and targeting infrastructure. You can include text, images and videos.
Supported Ad Creative types:
- Single Image
- Single Video
Supported Facebook Objectives
Instagram Stories Canvas ads support the same Facebook Objectives as normal Instagram Story ads, these being the following:
- Video views
- Website Clicks
Limitations in Instagram Stories Canvas
Instagram Stories Canvas does not support:
- Collection format
- store locator
- product catalog
Other notable differences to other Canvas formats include:
- Photo component: Instagram will not support linked canvas, tilt to pan, or tap to expand
- Video component: Instagram will not support 360 video or tilt to pan
- Button: Instagram will not support linked Canvas
- Footer: Instagram will not support swipe to open (Note: users will swipe up in the Stories unit to enter Canvas, but will tap a button to enter the post-Canvas experience)
How to set up Instagram Stories Canvas Ads in Smartly.io?
Instagram Stories Canvases are built with Facebook publishing tools and then selected for use in the advertising campaign in Smartly.io.
1. Build the Canvas in Business Manager
Canvas is built with Facebook publishing tools. You can access Canvas builder through Smartly.io in Ad creative tab in campaign creation.
Or in Business Manager → scroll down to Pages → select your page → Publishing tools → Canvas.
2. Build the Ad Creative in Smartly.io
Single Image & Carousel
For single Image and Carousel ads select the right Canvas from the Canvas selector dropdown menu.
For Video ads you will need to copy the link to the published Canvas from Facebook and use the link as a desination on the ad.
Copy the link from Facebook Publishing tools (please note that the Canvas cannot be in draft stage):
And paste the link to Call-to-action link URL field like shown below: