Collection is a mobile-only news feed ad format that pairs a hero video or image with a row of four products below it to drive a user from inspiration to action within a single experience. The fourth image has a ’More’ call-to-action to encourage further consideration. Clicking on the ad—hero, product row or 'More' button—opens a Canvas displaying up to 50 products. Tapping on a product in the Canvas takes the user to a product detail page on the advertiser’s mobile site or app.
Using Collection ads in Smartly.io
See the following guides:
- Collection Ads with a Catalog
- Collection Ads from Instant Experience (Canvas)
- Dynamic Video in Collection Ads
- Collection Ads with Tabs
Potential use cases
- Drive conversions with a mobile landing page that encourages action
- Showcase products in a grid layout so people can browse more of your products in one place
- Let people explore your products in action by featuring them in photos
- Give people an engaging way to explore your brand, product or service
- Category-level image or video to show related, curated products like a gift guide, living room decorations, men's watches or women's shoes
- Highlighting a runway show or new fashion line with related products
- Featuring new product release with related products to encourage cross-selling
- Promoting a sale of discounted products
- Reimagining a television commercial with related products
- Product demos or tutorials with related products
What placements are supported?
Until October 2020, only Facebook Feed and Instagram Feed mobile were supported. From October 2020, Facebook is rolling out Collection also to be delivered in Instagram Stories. To enable it, simply ensure Instagram Stories is selected as a placement.
To verify, you're able to run Collection on Instagram Stories, check the ad preview for that placement:
What catalogs are supported?
Product catalogs, Hotel catalogs and Auto Catalog currently (October 2020).
What campaign types are supported?
Collection is available for the Conversions and Traffic objectives in regular campaigns, and Dynamic Ads Product Sales campaigns. Mobile App Installs campaigns are also supported.
Additionally, note that the Instant Experience requires you to enter the correct app store link manually into the Call-To-Action link field for the iTunes or Google Play store respectively; e.g.
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id284882215. The link should be the same app store link configured in the app promoted in the ad set.
Universal, deep links or other links won’t work for Instant Experience inside Collection Ads. Please, see the image below for an example.
Is product catalog always required to create Collection Ads?
No. You can create an Instant Experience in Facebook using one of the available templates and upload videos and images manually. Then, in Smartly.io you can create Collection Ads from Instant Experience (Canvas).
Do I need to create the Instant Experience?
If you are creating Collection Ads with a Catalog, we'll create the Instant Experience automatically from the Product Set and the hero image or video. You can use Dynamic Image Templates to create appealing images for your collection.
Can I direct users from Collection ad to my app?
Yes you can. Both website and app are supported.
Do GIFs work with Collection ads?
We have tested this and currently, GIFs are not supported in Collection Ads. (Updated: September 2017)