Dynamic ads can use Instagram Stories as a placement, but the ads appear somewhat differently compared to other placements. As more and more users are interacting with Instagram Stories, this addition to dynamic ads offers great potential for increasing conversions and performance.
Getting started with Stories placements is very straightforward in Smartly.io: in your dynamic ads targeting settings, add Instagram Stories to the targeted placements, and your existing dynamic ads will be delivered in Instagram Stories.
Setup and supported ad formats
- Smartly.io Image Templates can be used to generate great-looking dynamic ads for Instagram Stories. However, please note that the supported aspect ratio for dynamic ads for Stories is 1:1 or 4:5.
- Some cropping will occur from the top and bottom of the image when using other aspect ratios.
- You can check the ad preview to verify how this will look.
- This only supports Instagram Stories for now – Facebook Stories are not supported yet.
- Please take into account that videos are not supported yet for dynamic ads in Instagram Stories, even when videos are used as a static card for a carousel ad.
What will my ads look like?
When your dynamic ad is shown in Instagram Stories, it will look somewhat different to other placements.
- There will be a colored background added automatically. You can't adjust this yourself, even if you are using an Image Template. Facebook automatically analyzes the color elements in your image and chooses it based on those.
- The values you map to your ad template's title and description will be shown in a separate section at the top of the ad image (this is automatically generated by Facebook). You can't prevent this white box from appearing at the top of the ad.
- If you leave title and description blank, the description of the specific feed item will be used automatically in this field
- If you want to leave the white label completely blank, you can simply put two spaces in the ad template's description field - this will leave the label blank.