Image Templates beta is available to all Smartly.io customers. We are rolling out access to the new editor to all customers during June and July, but you can also contact your CSM to enroll in the beta right away.
Image Templates are a Smartly.io solution aimed at automating the creative process. With Image Templates, you can create personalized ads at scale by combining graphics layers with dynamic information from a product feed or catalog.
Image Templates are fully customizable and available for nearly all creative formats. They allow you to flexibly design creatives that include information from your product feed, such as the price, image asset, or rating of a product.
Here are some examples of what you can do with Image Templates:
You can find Image Templates in the Asset Library. You can find your templates and assets there and organize them to your preferred structure with folders.
In the library view, you can open Image Templates for editing in the Creative Editor, and create new templates or clone existing ones as needed. Template presets give you a running start: select one and customize it in the editor to match your brand. In addition, you can open Image Templates as Video Templates to convert them to create video creatives.
Why use Image Templates?
Image Templates help you automate the creative process. Benefits from using them include:
- Visually appealing creative expression at scale
- Speed & ease – create thousands of customized creatives at scale
- Better performance – Image Templates are proven to perform better than raw product images
- Brand personalization – replicate your brand look and feel
- Always up-to-date – ads using Image Templates are automatically updated with the latest pricing/offers from your feed
- No more ad fatigue – easily create variations of templates and refresh your creatives
Where to use Image Templates?
You can use Image Templates in Dynamic Ads and Automated Ads as well as in Static Ads that are not based on a feed. You can also export Image Templates to image assets, which you can either use directly in campaigns or save and upload for use to other platforms.
For instructions, see:
- Image Templates for Dynamic Ads
- Image Templates for Automated Ads
- Exporting Image Templates to assets
What is the new Image Template Editor?
- An Image Editor that is fully aligned with the Video Template editor
- Expands the use cases and capabilities of Image Templates
- Provides an improved user interface and user experience
- Use templates across campaign types and platforms
How to get access to the new editor
The Open Beta access is available to all Smartly.io clients. If you would like to join the next generation in scalable ad creative production, ask your CSM to enable access to the features for your account.
The story of Image Templates and why we’re building a completely new editor
The original Image Template editor enabled advertisers to create wonderful, beautiful ad images that stood out in the Facebook placements. The tool was a maverick that inspired other similar tools, including Facebook creating the ability to add some basic overlays to catalog images. The amount of total image production hours saved by Image Templates is likely measured in years.
Image Templates was followed by Video Templates, which gave advertisers the ability to render thousands of videos on-demand, directly into ad campaigns. Video Templates incorporated new innovations like Modular Video creation, automatic template resizing and selective video exporting.
The new edition of Image Templates is built on the same technology stack as Video Templates. An improved editor user interface, Modular Images, automatic template resizing and selective image exporting will be available out-of-the-box. There is also a workflow synergy between Image and Video Templates - you can open your Image Template in Video Template editor to add motion and effects.
- The original Image Template editor paved the way
- Video Templates brought new innovation to automated creative production
- New Image Templates take the best of Video Templates for a best-in-class workflow
New Image Templates provide several benefits
- Consistent experience and full feature parity with Video Templates
- New capabilities with e.g. Modular Image, Image Export, Previews, Automatic resizing
- Cloning between image and video templates
- Faster new feature development
Roll-out timeline of new Image Templates
- August 2020: Alpha test for Modular Image and Image Export
- September 2020: Open beta for New Image Templates
- 2021: Automated Ads
- Q3 2021: Dynamic Ads
- Q4: 2021: Old Image Templates deprecation
Saying goodbye to old Image Templates
The original old Image Templates will run in parallel with the new ones at least until the end of August 2021.
Note: No automated migration for old templates to the new system - But you can open an old template with the new editor, make necessary edits, and save the template as a new one.
Migrating old image Templates to new Image Templates with Dynamic ads?
Refer to these articles for migration help: