For advertisers that are looking to streamline their app advertising efforts—while still maintaining high performance and creative variation—Automated App Ads (AAA) is an ideal solution. AAA offers several benefits:
- Simplified campaign setup with built-in Dynamic Creative Optimization and automatic placements
- A machine learning backed optimization model which balances performance between Cost Per Install and Cost Per Purchase
- Built to scale; as budget increases, the optimization and delivery model maintain high performance
Automated App Ads is for advertisers who are looking to setup effortless, broad-targeted campaigns that can hold their own performance-wise without the constant tweaking.
Creating an Automated App Ad campaign
To start creating an AAA campaign:
- Go to Campaigns
- Click Create > New campaign > Regular Campaign
- In the Campaign section, select App installs as the Facebook Objective
- Under Smart Promotion Type, select Automated App Ads
In audience settings, you can only choose either Country or Languages as the targeting. Further targetings are currently not allowed by Facebook. Please note that you can only create 1 ad set in each AAA campaign.
In the creative settings, you can upload up to 50 unique images or videos, up to 5 primary text options and up to 5 headlines. The ad type is similar to a Dynamic Creative Optimization ad: Facebook will dynamically test and deliver the best performing combination of assets.
Ways to automate creative assets with AAA campaigns
Automated App Ads are not available in Smartly.io Automated Ads currently, but you can still leverage Smartly.io's Creative Solutions. You can use our Video Templates and Image Templates to produce beautifully effective ads at scale, and using the templates, you can either export the assets or add them directly to your asset library in Smartly.io. When creating an AAA campaign, you can use those assets from your Smartly.io library.
- The ad preview in Smartly.io is currently unavailable
- Automated App Ads only support 1 ad set with 1 ad
- AAA only support App Store, Country, and Language targeting
- Ads can have up to 50 unique images or videos, up to 5 primary text options and up to 5 headlines
1. What exclusions are available for advertisers?
Minimum Age targeting: This feature will enable an advertiser to set minimum age targeting at the app level and it will auto-apply to all their AAA campaigns for that app.
Why? AAA default age targeting is 13+ as this drives the best performance. However many apps have age targeting restrictions of 18+ or 21+ based on app store or advertising policies (weight loss apps, dating apps, gambling apps, etc).
Custom Audience exclusion targeting: This feature will allow advertisers to upload and apply custom audience exclusion lists at the app level and it will auto-apply to all their AAA campaigns for that app.
Why? The App Install product leverages a default, non-adjustable exclusion window to ensure people who already have an app installed, do not receive an app install ad unless they haven’t opened the app within a certain window of time: if a user has installed or opened an app in the last 90 days, then those users will not receive an app install ad from that app. If they have not installed or opened the app in the last 90 days, then they become eligible to receive app install ads from that app again. For various reasons, many app advertisers have additional requirements outside the default window to exclude additional users from seeing their app install ads and in the normal app ads product they apply these constraints via custom audience exclusion targeting.
2. How do I set up Minimum Age targeting and Custom Audience exclusion targeting at App level?
You need to set them up in your App Settings in Business Manager. Read more:
For more information, see Facebook's documentation on Automated App Ads.